Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Ode to Our Family Pet


Ten years ago when I met my husband Jeff he had a one year old boxer puppy named Jasmine. She was his baby. And within six months Jeff, Jasmine and I were living together in New Jersey. After just transplanting myself from Florida to New Jersey, Jasmine became my best friend; especially when Jeff was working a lot of hours at the Meadowlands.

As with any couple that doesn't have kids yet, their dog or cat becomes their baby and is considered their child. That was no different with us. Jasmine was our "girlie" and received all of our affection until she was 6 years old, when we decided, since we still did not have children, we would bring another boxer puppy into our family -- a white colored boxer we named Aspen.

Jasmine was so good about becoming the big sister and put up with Aspen's craziness and extreme energy. I think his energy kept her lively over the years. Before he came along she spent a lot of time hanging out on the couch -- but with a new puppy in the house, he kept her busy and they began to play together.

When Jeff and I finally did become pregnant Jasmine was eight years old and we both knew that she would be the protector and once again, big sister. Sure enough, once Zack was born we would find Jasmine laying on the carpet, by Zack's crib whenever he was sleeping.

As Zack has gotten a little older he has stated that these are his "two doggies" and that while Aspen can run around and play rough with him, Jasmine is an "old girlie" who he gives hugs and kisses to.

I am very sad to report that on Sunday, at 11 years old, our loyal, loving, good natured and extremely sweet Jasmine girl passed away, leaving a very large void in our life. I am truly grateful for having her in my life all these years, and loving me and our family unconditionally.

We will all miss her tremendously, but know she is in a place of peace and joy.

No comments: