Tuesday, June 24, 2008

What Moms Put Up With

I was reflecting the other day, as my son smeared sauce from his lunch onto my shirt, and then proceeded to pull my hair from my hair clip as we were walking around the ball park.....at how much I have put up with once I became a mother. To think that in my "previous life" before baby, I was always dressed immaculately, I was rarely frazzled, and I always wore my hair down. However, shortly after my son realized how great it was to play with my hair, I began wearing it up in a ponytail, or in a clip, so that he couldn't "pull" on it.

But besides the hair (which he has a fascination with), I began reflecting back on when he was an infant and the constant poop (in varying colors) that I needed to change, as well the ongoing spit up issue that had me changing his clothes (as well as mine) several times throughout the day. That had to be one of the hardest parts -- I could not wear anything nice -- I was always paying attention to clothes that I was putting on, and whether or not it was washable.

Now we are in the stage of early mornings (and I am not a morning person) -- with non-stop action from the minute he gets up until the time he collapses at the end of the day. He is loud and noisy as he yells from one room to the next, screams at our dog to chase after him, squeals with excitement, and screeches because he likes to hear the sound of his voice. (It can be maddening, because I am so used to having a peaceful house -- many times I can't hear myself think).

And with all little boys that are eager to explore and check out new things......he is constantly getting into everything he shouldn't and breaking things. This will happen as he trys to pull the towel rack off the wall, grab the air freshener from the electrical outlet, play with the television clicker or portable phone when it is in his reach, and yank items off my book shelf.

But you have to love that sweet little smile he flashes you just when you are overwhelmed with frustration. You just can't be mad at him because he is too cute......and he is only being a boy!!

Many times I find myself just breathing.....in and out.....until I am back to a somewhat calm place and he has already moved onto something else!

Every day is a new adventure -- it certainly isn't dull.

No comments: