Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Life is Always Changing

For people living up north, Memorial Day is the unofficial kick off for the summer, and a celebration that the winter is over, with bright, sunny days ahead. (The change of seasons)
And this weekend was picture perfect with sunny skies, a light breeze and high 70's -- a spectacular few days to be outside, enjoying the beautiful weather. This weekend was also so much more fun with my son Zack, because he was able to really enjoy the playground with the swings and the slide, exploring the park for sticks and rocks, and running around with the kids in our neighborhood. I am an outdoors person and last summer he was just a baby and couldn't be out in the sun that much, so I was looking forward to him getting a little older.

But while he is constantly changing and growing into a little boy, I am having to change with him. This morning is a good example. For months he has gotten up, sat very contently in his high chair, had his banana, yogurt and possibly some milk. But now he is so busy wanting to play that he is not interested in sitting in his chair, and if he does agree to having some milk he wants it while sitting on the couch, in front of the television watching a cartoon (another change, only recently have we been putting on cartoons for him to watch).

So do I push him into his high chair (which by the way we also just changed to a booster seat, since he kept climbing out of the high chair), or go with the flow of what he wants? By him going off to play it actually gives me time to make my coffee, and take my vitamins without getting him all set with food first.

So changes are sometimes good, but we have to constantly watch to see if we are pushing our resistance to change on our children, or listening to what their needs are and going with the flow. I know for me, I am always checking myself to see if I am pushing my routine on him, or do I need to change the routine to fit his new pattern?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

everythings is so well written,you must come from a Loving home